MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

skipping CD audio on Magic Engine

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
segagamer
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: skipping CD audio on Magic Engine Reply with quote

I have just recently upgraded to ME v1.1.2 and have noticed that the CD audio on my original PC-Engine game discs tend to skip randomly fairly regularly. The discs are not the issue since they do not have any scratches. However, I do not have the skipping issue with other emulators that play CD-Rom based games. I am not sure if it could be the CD/DVD drive that might be causing the problem. I have a Pioneer DVR-112D that I bought from Best Buy and was upgraded in the fall of 2006, after my hard drive died on my Dell PC. I replaced the old Samsung drive that was bundled with my PC since it was actiing up almost all the time (like the tray not staying open with I wanted to change discs. I do not remember having the sound issue before I upgraded the CD/DVD-ROM drive, so I don't know if it is a combination of the emulator and disc drive. Is ME not compatible with Pioneer drives?
segagamer
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cannot believe I am the only one expericing this problem...Maybe it's time I break down and pick up a real PC-Engine console to play CD games.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just rip the CD image and mount it? If you're playing emulation, you might as well save any wear and tear on the original and just use a correct ripped and mounted image. That's what I do. I rarely touch the original and almost never for emulation.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Issues with CD audio always come down to the usual suspects: make sure you have DMA enabled, and that you installed the latest driver/firmware for your drive.

Also, you don't say which OS you are using, which means the problem could eventually be related to your ASPI layer being obsolete or even lacking. If you know that your OS supports both ASPI and SPTI, try switching between both layers with the corresponding option in your PCE.INI config file.

Look for the section [cdrom] and set the Driver option to the needed value. Likewise, if you're using Win9x, use the drive number option; if you're using WinNT (2000, XP, Hastalavista), use the drive letter option. Do NOT use both at the same time.

Do your homework and come back for more help if you need any.
segagamer
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
Issues with CD audio always come down to the usual suspects: make sure you have DMA enabled, and that you installed the latest driver/firmware for your drive.

Also, you don't say which OS you are using, which means the problem could eventually be related to your ASPI layer being obsolete or even lacking. If you know that your OS supports both ASPI and SPTI, try switching between both layers with the corresponding option in your PCE.INI config file.

Look for the section [cdrom] and set the Driver option to the needed value. Likewise, if you're using Win9x, use the drive number option; if you're using WinNT (2000, XP, Hastalavista), use the drive letter option. Do NOT use both at the same time.

Do your homework and come back for more help if you need any.

Thanks for the tips, but most are meaningless to me, since I am not that great with computers...

My OS is Windows XP Home. I actually did update the firmware for my DVD/CD burner, so that much has been done.

What is DMA, and how do I enable it?

How do I determine whether my OS supports both ASPI and SPTI, and how do I switch between both layers with the corresponding option in my PCE.INI config file?

Also, how do I look for the section [cdrom] and set the Driver option to the needed value?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: