MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

IPS/PPF patches for CD games

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Retro-Nerd
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: IPS/PPF patches for CD games Reply with quote

I like the new cheat feature in MagicEngine, but i would like to play some CD games with cheats on my real Duo. Is it possible to do some cheat patches, maybe with a selectable trainer menu? Wink
LitCandle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not without my magic wand!... no that would be really hard to do, it may be possible but you'd need to do something like replace the original data on the TurboChip or you'd have to re-write the CD with an additional something that does something else. And if people could do it by now, it probably would've been done already.

LitCandle-with-23.972%-deliquesceable-less-wax
nodtveidt
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It can be done but I don't think people are willing to go poking through a CD game to make such changes. I know I sure ain't.
LitCandle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt if you know where to start o_O

no seriously, it would take a great deal of reverse engineering using assembly knowledge to create something of that magnitude.... which unless someone with a computer engineering or computer science degree with a bit of hands on knowledge in this field would be able to do, it probably wouldn't be able to be done. I bet the only person who might be able to do it would be the creator of magic engine (who no one knows his real name)

LitCandle
nodtveidt
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would certainly know where to start, as would almost any other PCE coder. I've disassembled a few PCE games myself (Shape Shifter, Sinistron, Violent Soldier). But this isn't a trivial task, and anyone who CAN monkey with a PCE CD in this way is probably going to put their skills to better uses, such as translation, control scheme fixes, bug correction, etc.

The developers of Magic Engine are David and Cedric Michel. Those are their real names. They might know how it's done, but they're emulator coders, not game coders...they only have to know how the hardware works, not necessarily how the game code works. In order to pull off this kind of work, you have to understand how the game code works, and again, most PCE coders would know how to do it. It can be done, but no one's doing it because it's probably seen as a waste of time.
acem77
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found a way to use cheats on real hardware.
this is from http://www.tototek.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6
back in the day. i have user it to beat some game on real hardware.
you will need the flash cart they sell its $50 now not a bad price

Posted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:14 pm Post subject: !i know how to make codes for duo / pce-cdrom games! read!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1st i played lords of thunder on my moded xbox using a xbox ver of the pce emulator hugo. then i started to do a code search for infinite health.

the code i got was 3000685:001f then you convert the code to FFC685:00f1. seems easy just replace the 3000 with ffc.

2nd i used dream writer pce to to load System Card v.3 ROM jap.
then i added the code i found to the system rom and forced the system rom to usa mode.

3rd with the pce-pro flash in i booted up my usa a duo (now a pce because the new bios)

the only problem was some of the grafx are messed up.
i tried a few other games. gates of thunder locked up on the 1st stage dracula x i played the 1st stage with no problems.

i dont know if the problem is that i am using a jap bios on my usa system? or just because i was loading the bios from a cart slot?....
some games will work better than others. for now something is better than nothing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Cheats All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: