MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Fullscreen problems in Windows XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Myname
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 5:21 pm    Post subject: Fullscreen problems in Windows XP Reply with quote

Hi everyone, how's it going? I just registered Magic Engine and I'm having a few display problems running it (and also Gens) in Windows XP. I assume this has something to do with the monitor refresh rate, but I could be wrong..

In Millenium Edition there was the Optimal refresh rate option in the display properties, meaning everything would run full screen no problems, but with XP this doesn't seem to be the case. Gens and Magic Engine have black borders all the way around when running at full screen (windowed they are fine). I assumed this is because they both run at 60hz by default, causing a problem when the desktop refresh rate is 75hz. I updated all monitor and video card (its a Geforce 4 MX440 BTW, if that's important) drivers and even tried a couple of tools such as Refreshlock and Refreshforce, but none of this has so far solved the problem.

If anyone has any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated Smile .

Lastly I'd just like to thank the authors for making such a great emu so I can play all my favorite PC Engine games on my MAME cabinet Smile.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:03 pm    Post subject: Humm... Reply with quote

Since I don't have Windows XP I can't help you with your problem although I have seen a refresh rate fix for win xp floating on the net, just look around...

You could try disableing vsync, this usually works 99% of the time...

But, if you are running a mame cab, why oh why are you using win xp? you should use one of the win 9x kernels or dos...
Myname
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new system, came with XP. Apart from this problem, it works great with the cab, to be honest.. Once I get this sorted out, it will be perfect. There is apparently a XP service pack out tomorrow.. maybe that will have a fix (doubt it though).
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This NT/2k/XP 'bug' (Microsoft call it a feature) affects every application running on its own DirectX screen. You'll find more information here:

http://xp-refresh.net/

RefreshForce is the best, easiest and cleanest tool there is to get rid of the 60 Hz issue. If it doesn't work for you, that means you don't use it correctly (no offense intended). RefreshForce works with every video card possible, not just a specific brand. Pay more attention to the docs and you should be fine.

RefreshForce:

http://pagehosting.co.uk/rf/
Myname
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, but I'm beginning to think that the problem lies elsewhere. I'm sure I can remember running Magic Engine and Gens on my mother's system with XP a while ago with no problems, and she definately would not have applied any sort of fix for something like that. Also, my PC runs everything else fine, from other emus to stuff like Deus Ex (one of the famous examples given about the refresh rate problem usually). I tried again with Refreshforce, I know I'm doing everything right with it.. So I'm pretty stuck to be honest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: