MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Turbo Engine 16 0.31a
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been messing with the new release. Seems very promising. I like! Its also pretty neat the option given to rip a PCengine CD! I havnt tried this yet though.. Has anyone else done that yet?? Question
AamirM
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried it on many CDs and it works for me Smile.

Note however, that it may appear unresposive/hanged (because sectors are read/written in a tight loop in the main application thread. Yeah, I know I am lazy Razz), but you should wait because it IS ripping (you'll notice it writes to hard drive).
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been messing with the emulator a lot here lately. I actually have a lot of CD games, but I cannot get the emu to rip them. Not sure what I may be doing wrong. I already have backups, so I loaded some games. Cotton seems to play very well, Beyond Shadowgate has serious graphic problems but otherwise plays fine. One problem I had loading a game was with Dungeon Explorer II. It boots up fine, plays all the intro just perfect. When I select to play a NEW game, I get this message.." PLEASE INITIALIZE BACK UP RAM." Any ideas?
AamirM
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, thanks for the feedback.

At BIOS screen, press "Select", then choose "format". Does that fix the problem with Dungeon Explorer?

What kind of graphics problem are you seeing in Beyond Shadowgate? Can you paste a screenshot (or do you have the savestate?)

Thanks again.
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will work on getting some screenshots tonight, I didnt take one at the time. Also, I havnt formatted the BRAM, but I didnt have any problem with the other games booting. I will be messing with this a lot more very shortly. So, far I really like the emu. It really is cool having the option to load an iso. Laughing

AamirM wrote:
First, thanks for the feedback.

At BIOS screen, press "Select", then choose "format". Does that fix the problem with Dungeon Explorer?

What kind of graphics problem are you seeing in Beyond Shadowgate? Can you paste a screenshot (or do you have the savestate?)

Thanks again.
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be working on this more tonight for sure

Also, I got Dungeon Explorer II to run, and there are no glitches graphically in that game. However, the sound is really scratchy.. Meaning, there is like a buzz that will come and go, sometimes staying. The game sounds are there, and it isnt related to them I dont think.
AamirM
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aamirm.hacking-cult.org wrote:
A new release for Turbo Engine. This is a small update. Only some front-end feature have been fixed/added. No emulation related changes have been made. Major additions include support for IOCTL to handle physical CDROM on Windows 2k/XP/Vista operating systems. This means you don’t need ASPI manager (wnaspi32.dll) anymore. Complete localization/translation support has been added as well. You can translate anything including messages, dialog, menus etc.. Cheating support was fixed and a converter is now available to convert from MAME/MESS XML cheat format to Turbo Engine’s cheat DATs from here. A few other things have been fixed and added as well.

Full list of changes:
Code:
Version 0.31
------------
This is a small update. Only some front-end feature have been fixed/added.
No emulation related changes have been made.

* On Win2k/XP/Vista, IOCTL is used to handle CDROM now. This means you don't
  need ASPI manager (wnaspi32.dll) anymore on those operating systems.
  You can however still enable ASPI if you want by modifying "TurboEngine.ini"
  and setting "ForceASPI=1". On 9x/ME systems, it'll use ASPI automatically.

* Cheats fixed (again). A cheat converter is also available on my homepage
  which can convert cheats from MESS/MAME's XML to Turbo Engine's cheat DATs.

* Complete localization/translation support (including dialog boxes).
  See the "Localization.txt" in "Languages" folder for information on translating.
  If you do a translation, please please and PLEASE do submit them to me. ;)

* Turbo Engine now warns for unconfigured BIOS while loading CDROM games.

* CD ripping works in another thread so that the GUI is updated and emulator doesn't
  get freezed until ripping is finished.

* Added command line support. The syntax is:

"TurboEngine [--fullscreen] path_to_rom.[bin,pce,zip,7z,cue,iso]"

* Fixed some crashes. Improved stability a bit (hopefully).

* Increased speed. Now it should be a little faster (but don't expect too fast).
  A lot more is still to be done in this area :) .

As always, download from here
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aamir, the new version seems to crash at launch time (at least on my XP SP3 system).

The previous one runs fine.
AamirM
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
Aamir, the new version seems to crash at launch time (at least on my XP SP3 system).

The previous one runs fine.

Are you extracting it over existing installation or a completely new folder? Also, what is your CPU model? (I am going to take a guess and say AMD)
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Core 2 Smile

Apparently, the old pref file wasn't working with the new exe. I wiped the ini out and the emulator is now running ok. Thanks for the heads up.
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this for the first time and wanted to try out your CD ripping feature, but it just doesn't wanna start up for me... This is after I downloaded the missing dependency it complained about, msvcr71.dll.

I'm running Vista Home Premium, and the CPU is an AMD Phenom 8450. I have Virtual PC 2007 set up and tried it out on Win98SE and Win2K with the same result.

Judging by your AMD comment, I'm out of luck ? No biggie though, I had a few minutes and thought I'd check out how advanced the ripping feature is; wanted to see how it compares to the TurboRip utility I wrote a while back. I was thinking of doing the same, ending ASPI support and going with just NT's SPTI like you did, but first I had to research subcode processing better to properly detect pregaps/indexing, as well as handling postgaps. I mistakenly hardcoded PCE CD assumptions at the time of original development...

Anyway, I guess I can boot up my old Intel P4-based PC to give this thing a shot some time. Well, happy coding to ya. ;)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant get the rip feature to work either.

NightWolve wrote:
Saw this for the first time and wanted to try out your CD ripping feature, but it just doesn't wanna start up for me... This is after I downloaded the missing dependency it complained about, msvcr71.dll.

I'm running Vista Home Premium, and the CPU is an AMD Phenom 8450. I have Virtual PC 2007 set up and tried it out on Win98SE and Win2K with the same result.

Judging by your AMD comment, I'm out of luck ? No biggie though, I had a few minutes and thought I'd check out how advanced the ripping feature is; wanted to see how it compares to the TurboRip utility I wrote a while back. I was thinking of doing the same, ending ASPI support and going with just NT's SPTI like you did, but first I had to research subcode processing better to properly detect pregaps/indexing, as well as handling postgaps. I mistakenly hardcoded PCE CD assumptions at the time of original development...

Anyway, I guess I can boot up my old Intel P4-based PC to give this thing a shot some time. Well, happy coding to ya. Wink
AamirM
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I got a similar bug report earlier but the user was on Windows 7 RC so I conveniently put the finger on it. But now you are getting it on Vista as well so I guess there is definitely some problem with Turbo Engine itself. I'll check it out ASAP. Did it complain again about MSVCR71.dll after you downloaded it?

Quote:
Judging by your AMD comment, I'm out of luck ?

Oh no, its just that for some reasons my previous emu had problems running on AMD CPUs and I was kinda fearing that that problem has come to haunt me again. Wink

Quote:
I had a few minutes and thought I'd check out how advanced the ripping feature is; wanted to see how it compares to the TurboRip utility I wrote a while back. I was thinking of doing the same, ending ASPI support and going with just NT's SPTI like you did, but first I had to research subcode processing better to properly detect pregaps/indexing, as well as handling postgaps.

Its nowhere near as advanced and flexible as your TurboRip utility Wink . The main goal was easiness and simplicity. It can do just enough so that ripped CD is playable with TE. To make perfect rips, one will still need TurboRip.

Quote:
Anyway, I guess I can boot up my old Intel P4-based PC to give this thing a shot some time. Well, happy coding to ya. Wink

Thanks Wink. I'll keep everyone updated by posting here if I find the fix to the problem.

Quote:
I cant get the rip feature to work either.

What happens when you try to rip the CD? Does the emulator crash? Are the files being created in the rip folder? Are other things working fine (like loading and playing games etc..)? Also, do you have a physical CD-ROM selected? (it won't rip if you have "CD Image Driver" selected)

EDIT:
@Nightwolve:
Try this binary on your AMD.
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AamirM wrote:
I got a similar bug report earlier but the user was on Windows 7 RC so I conveniently put the finger on it. But now you are getting it on Vista as well so I guess there is definitely some problem with Turbo Engine itself. I'll check it out ASAP. Did it complain again about MSVCR71.dll after you downloaded it?

Yeah, it stoppped complaining (you could select to static compile VC runtimes BTW or does that make it too big for your tastes?) but it simply wouldn't do anything after that. It'd start up, and exit within a second without reporting what the error was.

Quote:
Its nowhere near as advanced and flexible as your TurboRip utility ;) . The main goal was easiness and simplicity. It can do just enough so that ripped CD is playable with TE. To make perfect rips, one will still need TurboRip.

Ah, alright. It's a purty cool idea, don't get me wrong, but seeing such a feature combined in an emulator depending on how advanced it was I thought could eventually phase TurboRip out making any future work on it kinda pointless. I had plans to work on it again (when possible) to finish up the subcode stuff and compile one last commandline version with a solid, reliable codebase. Afterwards, work on a lightweight GUI-based version. It deserves it.

Quote:
EDIT:
@Nightwolve:
Try this binary on your AMD.

Yup, that did it! It starts up now and I got to test it out. Danke.

Last edited by NightWolve on Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:57 am; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
AamirM
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aamirm.hacking-cult.org wrote:
This a quick update to Turbo Engine which fixes some major problems with the previous release. If you downloaded the previous release, remove it and download this one.

Full list of changes:
Code:
Version 0.31a
-------------
Quick and small update:

* Fixed a problem that prevented Turbo Engine from running on some AMD
  CPUs.

* Fixed a linking problem in compiler which caused Turbo Engine to fail
  to load on some computers.

* Fixed part of "About" dialog box text getting cut-off.

* Reverted back a change I made in Tremor (OGG decoder) which caused
  OGG playback to completely fail in release builds.

As always, download from here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: