MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Startling Odyssey 2 English Translation beta-alpha UPDATE
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:51 pm    Post subject: Startling Odyssey 2 English Translation beta-alpha UPDATE Reply with quote

It has been brought to my attention that there is a section in the game that still had Japanese text when talking to a king and the minister. This has been found and translated and I have included 2 patches for this fix.

1: This fix is for those that have already patched the game. This adds to the current released patch. If you have already patched the game, use the following link to download an updated translation:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JB96PO5E

2: The second update here is the newest patch if you have not already patched your iso file. This patch is the full translation. So use this one ONLY if you have not already patched the file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GVG705P1

**Old translation patch has been removed from this page.

NFO/Readme:

Startling Odyssey 2 English Translation Project

After over 7 years of on again off again work, I am ready to release the first public English patch for Startling Odyssey 2
for the PC Engine/Turbo Duo!

First things first, this translation should be considered a hack. This game was translated using machine translators
and has been reworded by myself to make sense rather than jibberish. I have personally played through the game
several times to make sure that things make sense all the way through the game and that all text has been translated
that affects gameplay.

Things that are complete:

Items names
Spell names
Equipment (weapons, armor, shields, helmets, and accessories)
Dialogue
Area names
Menus and submenus
Debug Mode Selections (cinema selections)
Cheat Code

Things that are incomplete:

Credits
Cinemas
Opening cinema

The incomplete list mostly contains the images that have text on it. Once I figure out or someone can help me extract
the images, I hope to get those translated as well. Credits just dont have enough room to fully translate so I stopped
translating those until further notice.

Keep in mind that this is an beta alpha release. There are bound to be spelling errors or pointer issues. I have tried
to catch all of those, but perhaps some have slipped by. If you do happen to come across any, please take a screenshot
and email it to TruMisery@gmail.com so that I can fix the error.

Again, since this is an "translation hack" the script will not be translated 100% accurate. As many have pointed out
that with machine translations, the machine has a hard time taking context into consideration as well as unknown words.

The iso after being patched still passes the toc check by using TocFixer that NightWolve made.

Make sure that when you extract the ISO file, the image is exactly 42.1 MB (44,232,704 bytes)

As with NightWolves past patches, this is also in .ppf format.

Added Note:

EsperKnight is currently working on a text hack that will give us a better font that will also allow for more characters per line.
There was a glitch with it when playing on a real system that did not allow for the text to be printed to the screen with the
previous text hack.

There are currently future plans to get this game translated by a human as well as implement the font hack.

This game has been tested on a real system and the following emulators: YAME!, Magic Engine, and mednafen and they
all work 100% as intended.

Thank you for downloading this patch and I hope that you enjoy it.

-TruMisery
TruMisery@gmail.com

Translated Back Cover:

Screenshots

Last edited by Tru on Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Validus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

downloading now! will post after I get it running and also give you my initial thoughts on the game!!! thank u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Validus wrote:
downloading now! will post after I get it running and also give you my initial thoughts on the game!!! thank u!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your welcome... I hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoyed working on it...

I look forward to all criticism both positive and negative...

I just want to say though, to keep in mind that this was done using a machine translator... only a couple of sections were translated by a human and those were basically spot checks...

Hopefully all glitches and erros have been fixed... but feel free to report tham to me...
Validus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are a wonderful person for releasing this! Enjoying every second of it so far and spoke to everyone in the castle,.. already loving it! Have not felt like this about a translation in a VERY LONG TIME. PC Engine translations always hold a very special place in my heart for some reason. I hope this inspires more machine translations and or PC engine translations. This game is PROOF that despite the method of translation a game can still be thorougly enjoyed. This translation is eons ahead of the OFFICAL capcom translation of Breath of Fire 2 SNES>
duke4711
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is awesome! I just bought a copy of the game and I will apply the patch as soon as I receive it, I can't wait! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this. I know it took years!
M1Savage

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just grabbed it. Can't wait to try it out. Thanks again!
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright. I think I have it all set up correctly. I bought this game a few years ago off ebay, and I am excited to finally be able to play it, so a big thank you for the patch and all the work involved. Are you accepting any kind of donations for this at all?

Now my second thing. I ripped the game with TurboRip, and got my wav/iso/cue. I am sure you are aware, track 2 is the 42.1 iso, but track 52 is a 41.8 iso. I have already applied the patch to track 2, and it works great. Been playing it, and loving it thus far. My question is this, do we need to do anything to track 52? Question
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bernielindell wrote:
My question is this, do we need to do anything to track 52? Question

Nope... Very Happy

track 52 doesnt affect the translation in any way shape or form...
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tru wrote:
bernielindell wrote:
My question is this, do we need to do anything to track 52? Question

Nope... Very Happy

track 52 doesnt affect the translation in any way shape or form...

Thanks!
Validus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttrack52 scared me too lol

after i watch some initial d im going back to playing this fantastic game... CANT WAIT FOR FAR EAST OF EDEN after I beat this one

after an entire night of playing i must say

THIS GAME IS EFFIN FANTASTIC!!! REEKS WITH QUALITY GAME DESIGN AND HUGE LUSH GRAPHICS

There are typos and it could have been better written but I am still enjoying it waaaay too much to care for the little stuff. I passed Mountains and reached the port town! This game is pre FF6, it is a true work of art!
stevek666
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile
turbofan1

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coouldnt believe it when i saw the game patch had been released.Thanks tru,and anybody else that was involved in the translation.
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Added Note:

EsperKnight is currently working on a text hack that will give us a better font that will also allow for more characters per line.
There was a glitch with it when playing on a real system that did not allow for the text to be printed to the screen with the
previous text hack.

The glitch is after or before EsperKnight's replacement print routine? And what type of glitch is it (more details)?
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tomaitheous"]
Quote:
Added Note:

The glitch is after or before EsperKnight's replacement print routine? And what type of glitch is it (more details)?

The glitch was after the htext hack...

Wen playing on a real system, the text was all jumbled... like it didnt know what to print... could not make out anything... it was almost like it was trying to print the new text over the japanese text...

It only showed characters as a jumbled mess...

Esper had said that maybe it had something to do with the routine... the way it was wrote if I remember correctly... That was after he had talked with Dave... I dont remember exactly what he said could be the cause of the problem... but it had something to do with the turbo possibly not reading his code right...

It worked fine in al the emulators... just not on a real system...
Tomaitheous
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like it might be a timing problem then. I had something similar with DotB print routine. Decompressing the font, doing VFW, then uploading was taking longer than the normal print routine - so it caused artifacts onscreen. I manage to fix it by some speed up techniques, but they were very specific to that design.

If it is timing (taking too long and running into something else like the V or Hint that writes to the VDC), might be hard to fix. Dunno. Depends how much of the original print routine he took out (and if he's disabling interrupts or updating the VDC command reg for the sys card before writing to vram, etc).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Translation Projects All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: