MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Still no built in CD image support for a PAID emulator? | La

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcmcghee
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Still no built in CD image support for a PAID emulator? | La Reply with quote

I have been using various TG16/PCE emulators for years. Magic Engine is by far the best in every way except one giant glaring problem. No CD image support. Almost every FREE emulator out there can play CD games just fine, hell, even the old Tport version of Hugo on the original xbox console can play CD images. It's not a big deal to mount these externally in another program, but it's an extra step (and another running program) that we users shouldn't have to deal with on a PAID emulator. I understand that this is not the Devs full time job, but come on guys, this is an essential part here.

Also, can we get an update on the Dev blog or ANYTHING at all? Other than the monthly contest, theres been no site updates in years and even the "NEW" dev blog hasn't seen a "Dev" post in over 7 months. Is ME even still being worked on at all?

Not trying to sound like a whiney tool, I love Magic Engine, I guess I just expect a little more from a paid emu.
bernielindell
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt you will ever see this implemented. Its been stated many times in the past, that the authors have no intention on adding this feature. Reason I believe, is that the emulators intended function was to play actual CD game due to our original hardware failing. It would be nice to see this added, but the chances I believe are little to none. I am hoping for more updates to the site and the new version soon as well. I think a lot of us are anxious for news.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Still no built in CD image support for a PAID emulator? Reply with quote

rcmcghee wrote:
I just expect a little more from a paid emu.

If you bought your key back in 1996, you got 15 years worth of free upgrades and features. So in that regard, your argument is unfair.

However, the only reason I find it actually relevant is not because CD support is a "commodity", but because our current CD technologies are less and less compatible with the legacy ones -- in terms of access time, spin time, transfer speeds.

There's a reason why an emulator like Ootake has its own built-in CD rip support, and the reason is because it can access the game data exactly the way it needs in order to emulate the original timings, which is positively impossible with a real disc on our modern computers.

So yeah, ME needs internal CD rip support, but not for the reason you invoke.
Rockman
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
... It's not a big deal to mount these externally in another program, but it's an extra step (and another running program) that we users shouldn't have to deal with on a PAID emulator. ...

Neither Bleem! nor Connectix Virtual Game Station (commercial ps1 emulators from back in the day) supported disc images.
Joel Schmidt
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rockman wrote:
Quote:
... It's not a big deal to mount these externally in another program, but it's an extra step (and another running program) that we users shouldn't have to deal with on a PAID emulator. ...

Neither Bleem! nor Connectix Virtual Game Station (commercial ps1 emulators from back in the day) supported disc images.

VGS did.... On Macs anyways
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it really that hard to install a virtual drive?
emodel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not hard but it's painful.
Me should support iso, bin etc.

Moreover we could have proper "game library" including roms AND cd, and direct access to those (with screenshots etc).

Its 2011 damned !!!!
billnes

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 3:20 pm    Post subject: Still no built in CD image support for a PAID emulator? Reply with quote

Hello,

Keeping CD image use out of ME is to deter piracy. If you want to play a game, you should buy an original game disc. It's just that simple.
ureta4
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good post
emodel

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Still no built in CD image support for a PAID emulator? Reply with quote

billnes wrote:
Hello,

Keeping CD image use out of ME is to deter piracy. If you want to play a game, you should buy an original game disc. It's just that simple.

Should I also BUY windows 3.11 if i want to test it on an emulator ?
Don't make me laugh, the system is dead, and there's no way to buy cd's except from ebay, and lets not talk about abusive prices.
Should I pay 100$ for castlevania ?
Plus, a lot of machines don't have cd drives, and this technology will die anyway.
And what about hucards ??!!
You accept hucards piracy but not cd's ?!!
This emulator should not even exist then !
Don't be that stupid please.
Paulisse
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have some point in what you write, emodel. I'd dream to have an emulator displaying a game library with screenshots or even a scan of the cover of the original games. I'm happy when I'm able to mount a CD image on Daemon Tools (honestly, there is a limit to the laziness BTW: instead of asking for Magic Engine to add a complex feature such as the CD management to an already complex code, I guess anybody intelligent enough to use an emulator shall be skilled enough to install Daemon Tools and mount an image with it... et voilą!) and play a CD game, free of using a physical CD.

However, I disagree with you when you seem to consider that there is no point in an emulator unable to play CD images: I personally lost several game consoles and it's a relief for me to think that I'll still be able to play my original games on an emulator, if ever I am unable to replace the lost systems for a reasonable price in the future.

Besides, enabling the use of Hu-cards dumps doesn't mean Magic Engine condones piracy: the user of a ROM dump is supposed to own the original Hu-card, so there is no discrepancy here.

Moreover, when you think about it, Magic Engine does things I helplessly dream of for other emus, such as Gens (though I'm really enthusiastic with Gens, apart from this problem and the autofire issue): while the "save state" feature is perfectly implemented at any time of a CD game on Magic Engine, I'm still unable to perform a "save state" for any Mega-CD/Sega-CD game and I can assure you that I badly long for it (as well as an autofire feature, which Magic Engine implements contrary to Gens)! Well, one can say that Gens is free of charge while Magic Engine is a shareware, but I don't see where one is entitled to ask EVERYTHING of an emulator just because one paid a 15 bucks voluntary contribution for it more than a decade ago... You've certainly paid much more than that for any physical system you bought in the past, and you won't complain to the manufacturer even when the system breaks down after some years of use. You won't harass Sony for not enabling your ol' PSOne to play PS3 games, will you? You've never complained to Nintendo because you couldn't mount CD images on your Wii or Gamecube, have you?

That will be my last point: one can't expect to get empathy and help from someone else, when one is aggressive. In your last post, you ARE aggressive (besides being wrong, as I've just tried to demonstrate above). Can you think for one moment that being rude will give a strong incentive for David Michel to improve what is already a great achievement? I've seen, in the past (I particularly think about Final Burn there, but I could mention Nightwolve's aborted Felghana translation project as well: it was not an emu, but it was the same issue...), so many wonderful emu projects abandoned due to users being rude (or bitching about a little money paid) that I don't want that to happen again. To ask is legitimate: to demand is not.
DQSpider
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Still no built in CD image support for a PAID emulator? Reply with quote

billnes wrote:
Hello,

If you think this is deterring piracy at all you should pull your head out of the sand. It deters piracy about as much as HDCP does.

As many others have stated the obsolescence of the CD-ROM format is going to make playing or ripping physical discs tricky before too long. Having built-in image support would just make switching games a lot easier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: