MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

www.turbo2k.net shut down.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 2:54 am    Post subject: www.turbo2k.net shut down. Reply with quote

I just checked now, becasue I had not been to that site in a very long time, due to Odnadon not updating his spam bot, and the site was just extremely riddled with crap link ads for male growth pills, and other pharmaceutical web links. I had requested several times that he please fix the site of this, and never ever heard back from him.

A message appears "This account has been suspended." when you type the address into your browser.

Shame, as that site had a place in my heart, as well as MagicEngine, and pcenginefx.

R.I.P turbo2K.net. Crying or Very sad
sunteam_paul
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a shame. He had a great music player there as well.
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it was really cool to have that. Ever since he moved to Australia, the site started getting behind on upkeep(no offense OD), and it just got quiter and quieter in there, and the spam bots overtook the site to the point the server hosting it, probably got complaints, and shut it down. I loved that site as much as the other good ones out there(this one, PCE software bible, PCENGINEFX,com, Squaresofts french site), but it was the one i frequented a lot, due to its ties to my hub i used to run. I grew quite fond of the site, due to it being an underdog, and was helping the owner draw more peeps to it, and in turn more peeps would join my hub on PTOKAX(PC Engine Entity 2), and share in all the PC Engine glory. I miss those days, but upkeeping the hub was becoming more of a pain, and i was running it on old software, which ran fine til the day i shut it down. New Ptokax hub software would give me a ton of problems, and you know the saying....if it aint broke, don't fix it.

Miss Turbo2K.
sideshow
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad to see Turbo2k out of service. It seems like forever the last time I posted here. I see jammaniaclord is still active. Long live the turbo!
NightWolve
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel, jammaniaclord. I always envied Aaron Nanto and the success of his PCEngineFX site... He always had the talent and the magic formula to run and maintain an active forum membership. My old RIGG board never came even close to what he had going. One of the things that I learned from him is that it's not necessarily having lots of stuff to download that makes your board successful. That's one of the reasons I felt my legacy was nothing more than feeding parasites and it led me to finally close that board (not much changed, though).

Odonadon always wanted a NEC based site when I first met him on RIGG. I actually had some bad history with him, but we buried the hatchet in the end. In order to spam his URL, he would create a second account on your board and then pose a question, then with his own account, he would answer the question and offer his site URL as part of the answer trying to make it all look natural. One of our admins caught him by noticing the matching IP addresses between the accounts. ;) Heh-heh. It's just funny history, I'm not trying to kick him while he's down or anything. But anyway, he wanted to join with us back then, but he wound up making a far more impressive site on his own years later when I ran saw it. The PCE music player was a nice touch and he provided some pretty decent preservation content, like reviews, etc. Kind of what I wanted back in the day. Anyway, I think we all should've just joined with Aaron's site. ;)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Retro Iso Gaming Guild. I remember that site bigtime. I was such a total newb to the personal computer scene in the early 2000's, let alone the emulation/iso scene, and the whole sharing/trading bit. I scoured the net like a newb, and was about to give up on anyone even knowing what a "pc engine" was, until somehow i came across your site. I believe in the early 2000's you MAY have had a few iso's to DL, but i believe you were chsing them (us leechers) with a hickory stick. Boy i had it rough being such a newb. I would get people not wanting to trade because i had nothing new they needed and already had my lame collection at the time, getting so discouraged. Then came the days i had no idea how to rip a game, and there were so many formats at the time, and certain people wanted bin/cue, iso/wave, iso/mp3, etc etc. it was frustrating! I remember downloading images that disn't even have the sound, (shit rips), but at the time i was taking what i could get until i got a great copy. I could go on and on, but i am gettin off track. Just remembering how RIGG got me going. Then Hotline Connect got me even more. I actually loved that ool little file sharing proggy.
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry i cut it short, but my iphone was lagging with this site and driving me nuts. Also, apologies for the run on paragraph.
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah yes.. the good ole days with Tenchi, Night, m1savage, myself and quite a few others... I remember back then I was searching for Dracula X.. and everything I searched for was either password protected, corrupt or just a plain old inferior...

So I started a forum (ezboard or something like that) and I sold backup games for either $5 each or would trade for games I didn't have (this was before torrents of course and the morals of it back then can slide either way.. I was unemployed at the time so it helped make me some money)... I set up ripping instructions when ripping with cdrwin to make bin/cue images... and I think I even had a few direct downloads... anyway... I eventually bought a copy of Dracula X and made a copy with cdrwin for all to enjoy... as well as many other games that were completely unavailable at the time.. like SteamHearts, Linda3, strider, Hi Leg Fantasy, etc...

I remember my site went rather well... then mainly Tenchi, Night, and Supersops (if I remember the spelling right on this one) decided to form RIGG and invited me to join as well since they mostly met from my site... helped some other members start up other sites (not sure how many people remember crazybanana and his cover site... as well as suporting other pcengine/turboduo sites including Odonadon

Then I did some stupid things... got behind on game orders a couple of which never got made thorugh trades (sorry rockman, I still owe you somehow), sold a copy of Nights translation of Xak3 on eBay (brought him and myself from decent friends to not talking for a few years (and of course I still feel bad for this today, more than likely the stupidest thing I have done) and I kind of fell off the earth... just doing my own thing and basically getting out of the whole emulation scene for quite a few years...

Then came back and so much has changed... a lot of people don't know me and I don't know them... pcenginefx members changed severely... I still recall many of the names I see on this forum though... many sites have died or are just in silence...

I have thought about making a new site... but really... there isn't much new to do anymore other than taking idea's from other sites and merging them together... what's the point of that... seriously... there are already a lot of good sites for this that have good traffic... ah yes... the past was good...

Sorry... got a little off track there... back on topic.. yes, it is sad that the site went down...
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you Tru. I believe I bought a few back ups from you in the very beginning of my pc engine hunt for iso's. I believe you even had purchased a few magazines (or already had them) that had those sampler discs, and shared them with the community.

I miss the hub sharing days, and the RIGG, Hotline Connect sharing, but torrents seem like the norm now. I imagine there are still ptokax hubs though.
kkcdear
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was unemployed at the time so it helped make me some money)... I set up ripping instructions when ripping with cdrwin to make bin/cue images... and I think I even had a few direct downloads... anyway... I eventually bought a copy of Dracula X and made a copy with cdrwin for all to enjoy... as well as many other games that were completely unavailable at the time.. like SteamHearts, Linda3, strider, Hi Leg Fantasy, etc...

I remember my site went rather well... then mainly Tenchi, Night, and Supersops (if I remember the spelling right on this one) decided to form RIGG and invited me to join as well since they mostly met from my site... helped some other members start up other sites (not sure how many people remember crazybanana and his cover site... as well as suporting other pcengine/turboduo sites including Odonadon

Then I did some stupid things... got behind on game orders a couple of which never got made thorugh trades (sorry rockman, I still owe you somehow), sold a copy of Nights translation of Xak3 on eBay (brought him and myself from decent friends to not talking for a few years (and of course I still feel bad for this today, more than likely the stupidest thing I have done) and I kind of fell off the earth... just doing my own thing and basically getting out of the whole emulation scene for quite a few years...

Then came back and so much has changed... a lot of people don't know me and I don't know them... pcenginefx members changed severely... I still recall many of the names I see on this forum though... many sites have died or are just in silence...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: