MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Sapphire.... so what's the big deal????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bastaad525

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Sapphire.... so what's the big deal???? Reply with quote

Okay so I finally got Sapphire... and expected it to be the best game ever (considering it goes for $300 on Ebay!!!!). I had to jump thru all kinds of hoops to get it to work on magic engine... and finally I got it running. Well let me say to anyone who is thinking of spending this much money on the game DON'T unless you have lots of money to waste. The game is good, don't get me wrong. It has very nice graphics for a PC Engine game, the best I have ever seen on this system. The play is okay but it is very much like so many other shooters for the PCE. There is nothing really unique here. The music is good but not better than many other PCE CD games out there. I have seen some people compare this game to Radiant Silvergun on the Sega Saturn... this game does not even come close!!! Radiant Silvergun is a fantastic shoot'em up that is very unique in many ways and doesn't play like any other shooter I have ever played. THAT game is worth the money. Sapphire is a fun game and I am glad I finally got it but trust me unless I am crazy this game is not as good as the hype and is NOT worth $300 USD. There are other ways you can enjoy this game w/o spending that kind of money, if you are interested you can email me at bryansgifts@hotmail.com. And just so I don't get in trouble no I am not offering to sell copies of the game!
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey pal, welcome to the real world...

Sure, it was certainly worth buying this game... back in November 1995, when it was released for a reasonable 6800¥! I always thought it was a good CD version of Burning Angels Mr. Green

Technological prowess doesn't necessarily make a top game, and Sapphire is no exception. But you will always find people for willingly spending that much money for anything labelled 'Cult' in red letters. I even saw an Italian website who was selling it for 700€. No game on Earth is worth that price Evil or Very Mad
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow... so it's not as good as RSG? Thank goodness I didn't even bid on the only copy of Sapphire for sale on ebay as of now. They're asking around 500 dollars for it! I could buy five Panzer Sagas with that, or three Radiant Silverguns, or ten Ikarugas. Just one more question, is it really a must-play kind of game, or just a well done shooter? (Einhander and RSG are must play, Raiden and Darius are well done games, IMHO)
bastaad525

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh my standards must be higher than most peoples.... I tried as hard as I could to get into Darius AND Raiden but I never really liked either of them that much. Einhander is a great game that seems to have gotten more recognition with age. I still have an import copy of that one. I never would have considered it must play but now that I think of it it is a great game that should not be missed. RSG is on it's own level as far as I'm concerned, and Ikaruga is very close behind it. Although maybe not a 'true' shoot'em-up, Sin and Punishment on the N64 is definately what I would consider a must play shooter. R-Type is another one on that list for me.

But Sapphire... hmmmm... well I guess for me it was a must play, but that was based more on hype than actually knowing anything about the game. The thing that made games like Einhander, RSG and Ikaruga must plays, in my eyes, is that they were very unique compared to other shooters. Sapphire does not seem very unique at all. The power up and super bomb system has been seen 10,000 times before. The patterning and bosses so far feel very familiar. If it weren't for the great graphics (remember though this is great graphics for a PC Engine game... why did they try so hard to emulate the polygon look with fake poly's????) this game would seem exactly like many other vert scrollers on the PCE. I haven't beaten the game yet (it is pretty hard) but I've gotten pretty far and will say it does have some very interesting parts. Bottom line is I guess this game is definately above average, and falls into your 'well done shooters' category. Something like a 7 out of 10 score. As you pointed out though the money could definately be well spent elsewhere...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specineff wrote:
is it really a must-play kind of game

Definitely not. Super Raiden is way better, btw Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: