MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Differences between Prince of Persia US/Japan

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ethylene

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Differences between Prince of Persia US/Japan Reply with quote

I've been able to extract several screens worth of graphics that did not appear in the US release. Anyone have both versions and know about this?
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humm. I didn't know that. Im not sure of Prince of persia's creator origin ( methinks he's from England ), But I do know that its one fine game. Tell me, is the game better in American or Japanese flavor? can you post screenshots of the two games? im curious...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jordan Mechner is American.

The PC Engine version was entirely made by Riverhill, and is actually based on an earlier X68000 version also published by Riverhill. I guess the US release (by Hudson, if I'm not mistaken) was kind of 'enhanced' with specific screens to 'please' the US audience. All pure conjecture, I only got the Japanese version to play at Smile
ethylene

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberwok, the games are probably identical gameplay-wise. The screens appear to be just cinematics or screens of a 'hidden' nature. I've found this kind of stuff in MANY PC Engine games! Cool

The following screens were extracted from the US release of Prince of Persia:

Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari : I got the american version, original of course *hint* *hint*

ethylene : Humm, They are hidden in the code or on the cd?
ethylene

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberwok:

Well, with PCE games, all the code and graphics and everything for the game is on track two. Besides the CD music, of course.

I found these screens by first extracting that track with PCERIP, then opening the resulting ISO file with a tile editor, TMOD2. Dave Shadoff (PCE wizard extraordinaire) has written some PCE-specific plugins for this cool utility.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: