MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

2 data tracks, why?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ozzy_98

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2002 5:08 pm    Post subject: 2 data tracks, why? Reply with quote

many pce games have 2 data tracks, but from what I hear (no first hand knowlage) you odn;t need the second one to play the game in hugo. So is the second data track just for backup if the first is damaged?
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Passible answer Reply with quote

Well I see that the american cd's only have 1 data track (track2) and that the japanese cd's have 2 tracks (track 2 & last track). Maybe this is an ID trickfor checking the region for the pc engine bios?
Niobium

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think PCE CDs are region encoded.

I think it might have been a type of copy protection at the time.
Possibly a Error Correction track.
GravisZro
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that the first track on the Japanese games say something to the effect that "this is not an audio CD please put it in your video game console". I don't know for sure, but I think another reason they did this was to prevent people from hearing really loud static in a CD player. If you remember, the early CD players would actually play data tracks as audio! It seems like it's just nice way of preventing that and the slow witted people to know it's not really an audio CD Smile

Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 10:32 am    Post subject: If memory Serves Correctly... Reply with quote

I think that the reason that some pce games and some duo games have more than 1 data track, is due to the code written in the game.

If the laser is near the end of the cd it would make more sense to grab data from that end of the cd rather than pushing the laser all the way back to the begining of the cd. Kind of a way to make it look like the games were being loaded faster... or something like that.

It is true that you do not need the second data track, as by default, if it can not read the second data track, it will go back to the begining of the disc and grab the information from the first data track.

Please don't quote me on this as I have been out of the duo scene for over 2 years now and am just now getting back into it recently. But like I said, if my meory serves me correctly, this is why they may have more than 1 data track.

Trū
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: