MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Dracula X opening language
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BlackIchor
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Dracula X opening language Reply with quote

LOL, now that I got Dracula X working, there was one thing I noticed that really struck me as odd. The opening narration is in German, while the rest of the game's voice overs are strictly in Japanese. An odd choice on Konami's part...the Japanese part I can understand, since the game was released in Japan exclusively. Out of curiosity, does anybody know why they did that?
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose they talk German in Transilvania...

It's a small country in the middle of europe, maybe it's near Germany?

Maybe Konami wanted the game to sound more 'authentic'?

Who knows?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should have made the narrator speak in Romanian, then Wink

Vlad 'Dracula' Tepes was an historic ruler of Romania; his castle was supposedly located in the Transylvanian forest. Romania is a Central European country, more influenced by the Latins than by the Germans. But of course the German language has a flavor all its own, especially to Japanese people who live far, far away... in another galaxy Mr. Green
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They should have made the narrator speak in Romanian, then
You're absolutely right... now where was I?

Still, impaling people is not the best way to make new friends Wink ... oh well.
Danjuro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to say in most Koei's wargames taking place in 20th century, good old Europe is overruled by some kind of Germany... Coincidence? I don't think so : I see a scheme there with japanese editors which names start with a 'k'.

Hey look! It's a troll!
BlackIchor
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a good point. I didn't really think about it before, so it was probably done for some measure of historical authenticity and realism. Though only Konami of Japan could probably answer that question for sure, I'd say that's probably it.
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, could have been due to budget constraints. Getting some person in japan to read some lines in german is easier than with romanian. Some have accused Konami of being stingy in that regard in the past. For example, Metal Gear 2 for MSX uses broken, cheap ass russian when two Czech characters talk. The Hackers who translated the rom took the time to find the right dialog and put it back in the code. So why did Konami do that? Cheapness? Ignorance? Or simply the language barrier that gave us "All your base"?

Sorry.. ranting again.

Hmm. Are you sure it's german? Maybe it's romanian alright, and sounds like deutsche. I will need to play it.

Peace out.

Spec.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specineff wrote:
Hmm. Are you sure it's german?

In der guten alten Zeit leben die Menschen noch ruhig und in Frieden...

My German classes have been almost wiped out from my memory, but I can still recognize the language when I hear it Wink
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to hear real Romanian go rent Dracula ( from francis ford coppola made in 92 i think ) & listen to the dialog in the opening sequence ( when he freaks out ). My sister had a Romanian friend & she told me that the sub-titles are a little off Wink
phxlbrmpf
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely German, obviously spoken by a native speaker who did a pretty good job. Only occasionally does the opening speech sound a bit corny. The main character's name, Richter, is a German name, and translates into 'judge'. What the Konami guys obviously didn't know is that Richter's a common German last name. Nobody would ever call their son Richter. Wink
Unfortunately, I can't tell if the subtitles in the intro are okay or not, as my Japanese's not good enough (yet).

Perhaps Konami used German because they thought it sounded so 'spooky'? I must admit that I've yet to hear someone speak Romanian, but I doubt it sounds 'creepy', as I've read the language itself is pretty similar to Spanish and Portuguese.
detheavn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phxlbrmpf wrote:
It's definitely German, obviously spoken by a native speaker who did a pretty good job.

Well, I got to hand it to you, it IS german, but I don't think it's spoken by a Native, and if it was, then he really has to do something about his reading skills. I live a 5 minute walk away from germany [I live in The Netherlands] and I can tell you that no single german person I've encountered sounds this stupid ... maybe only when speaking english, but that's about it.

Aside from that, Romanian people, along with others like Chech, Polish, Hungarian and some others, rely greatly on the ability to speak german for their work [especially when dealing internationally]. They have been separated [and scarred] greatly from the rest of the world by WWII that most of those countries hold a second language of German instead of English ...

Buy hey ... any European would have to know this ... standard history lesson Wink
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure, sure... although that was definitely not the case in the middle of the 15th Century, when Vlad Dracul then his son Vlad Tepes of Wallachia ruled over Romania - under the protection of Turkey and against the colonial projection of Hungary. At this time, the people was most certainly not interested in German (or any other tongue) as a 'secondary' language.

Romanians (and Japanese, for that matter) only started to speak German very recently. But I don't think they waited for Konami to release their game either Wink

Standard history lesson, eh...
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still, for an intro it kicks ass right? That's what I think...
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2003 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed Mr. Green
detheavn

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
Sure, sure... although that was definitely not the case in the middle of the 15th Century, when Vlad Dracul then his son Vlad Tepes of Wallachia ruled over Romania - under the protection of Turkey and against the colonial projection of Hungary. At this time, the people was most certainly not interested in German (or any other tongue) as a 'secondary' language.

Romanians (and Japanese, for that matter) only started to speak German very recently. But I don't think they waited for Konami to release their game either Wink

Like I said earlier, They only started speaking German scince WWII. And it IS definately true that Vlad wouldn't know a single word of German, but this would still justify the extreme amount of German you hear in Japanese games. Anyone remember Einhänder's intro [PSX - Squaresoft] Mr. Green

At any rate, it seems like some Japanese people just got the idea that every European person speaks German. In most countries it's actually the 3nd language next to Native language and English,, but this still doesn't mean that we're all German ... Well ... I'm only German by 1/4th Whistle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: