MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Using the command line and frontends

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 6:53 am    Post subject: Using the command line and frontends Reply with quote

Er... I don't know what happened, but it looks like I deleted the original thread when replying to it, sorry, it's a mistake... forgive me. ^^;;;

Quote:

Hi, David

First, I just wanted to say that I've been a very satisfied customer since I registered two years ago.

Anyway, I'm having a problem with recognizing PCE.KEY using the command line and a frontend. Ciro of EmuLoader fame created a multi-console frontend called EmuCon:

http://www.mameworld.net/emuloader/emucon/

When using the frontend, it runs in demo mode. I read a post from last year that said the same thing was happening.

I tried copying PCE.KEY to the same directory as the frontend and the rom directory, and still nothing.

Now here's the weird part. I copied a rom to my Magic Engine directory, then opened a command line there, and ran it from the command line, and it STILL runs in demo mode, even though I'm in the same directory as the emulator.

Any ideas??

MagicEngine first look for a .pce key in several places in the Windows registry, if it find one it will use the path in the shell\open\command sub-key. If no key is found it will use the path of its pce.exe. Logicaly it should always find its directory, check the registry to see if something is wrong there.

Sorry again for deleting the thread. ^^;;;

Last edited by dmichel on Thu May 01, 2003 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2003 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS. I found back the original thread but I couldn't resurrect it, it's a ghost thread now. Razz I was able to to copy/paste the original message though. Angel
Mr. Do
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
MagicEngine first look for a .pce key in several places in the Windows registry, if it find one it will use the path in the shell\open\command sub-key. If no key is found it will use the path of its pce.exe. Logicaly it should always find its directory, check the registry to see if something is wrong there.

I don't see a registry entry for PCE.EXE or PCE.KEY anywhere. I searched the registry for PCE.EXE, PCE.KEY, PCE, KEY, Magic Engine.

Where should the registry setting be??

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games. Smile

Mr. Do!'s Emulation Page
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It searches those keys :
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pce\shell\open\command
and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\pce.exe\shell\open\command

BTW, do you have the same problem with the pce.ini file too? If you change a setting in .ini does ME always remember it?
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I found what was wrong... I found a little flaw in my registry code, if the ROM is in a .zip file MagicEngine will look for a .zip registry key instead of a .pce key. Try to put a copy of the pce.key file in the folder of your unzip program, this should do the trick I think, until I fix the problem.
Mr. Do
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try to put a copy of the pce.key file in the folder of your unzip program

That one didn't work.

Quote:
It searches those keys :
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pce\shell\open\command
and
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications\pce.exe\shell\open\command

In the first registry setting, I only have "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pce", no "\shell\open\command" under it. The second registry setting doesn't even exist.

If it means anything, I'm running Windows XP.

RELAX and just have fun. Remember, it's all about the games. Smile

Mr. Do!'s Emulation Page
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the slow reply, was busy preparing an update for the web site. Smile

Mr. Do wrote:
Quote:
Try to put a copy of the pce.key file in the folder of your unzip program

That one didn't work.

And if the ROM is not in .zip format, what does happen?

Quote:
In the first registry setting, I only have "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.pce", no "\shell\open\command" under it. The second registry setting doesn't even exist.

The second key is for Win2k. It is set up when you manualy associate .pce files to pce.exe.

Well, I have no easy fix then, I will see what can be done in 1.0 to make this works better.
detheavn

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My homebrewn frontend didn't have any of the problems, then again, my frontend wasn't all to great to begin with ... maybe I'll try to find it on one of my backup cd's to see if anyone wants it ...

it basically just read a textfile which had 'filename|custom game name' encoding and ran it from command line ...

ah well ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: