MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Super Air Zonk... eegads! :(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prophet (Retrogames)
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Super Air Zonk... eegads! :( Reply with quote

What were they THINKING when they made Super Air Zonk?! The hu-card Air Zonk was a great shooter, so you'd think a CD sequel would be amazing. But it's awful!

Graphically it's got that same wacky Zonk/Bonk feel which is good, but all the cool stuff about Air Zonk is GONE! Instead of really nice multi-layered backgrounds we now have crappy single layer. Instead of all the cool weapons and sidekicks, we now have a few stupid weapons. Plus it's dead easy, and sometimes you can literally just hold down the fire button and you won't die. And the music... OMG the music... "Rockabilly Paradise" maybe, but it's videogame HELL. The one fun part that I found was fighting the giant robot (in level 3 or 4 I think?) - that was decent.

Considering how many great shooters came out in Japan, why TTI chose this crap to bring out in the USA I'll never know. Mascot appeal I suppose, but this is ultimately a pretty bad game, and that's never good for a console's health. No surprise TTI died so fast.

On the other hand, I had the pleasure of playing Rayxanber 3 this morning, and THAT is a superb vertical shooter. Smile I have yet to play "Gates of Thunder" or "Lords of Thunder," and I understand those are really great.
torgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gates of Thunder and Lords of Thunder are 2 of my all time favorites. Just wait until you hear the awesome rock tunes in Lords. Also, it's hard to find, but if you can, get a copy of Spriggan. Spriggan:Mark 2 is ok, but the original is awesome!!
RandwulfX
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 2:24 am    Post subject: Gate of Thunder Reply with quote

If anyone remembers the TurboDuo Cool , then they remember the 3-in-1 CD and SYSTEM CARD 3.1.
The four games on the CD (Yes, there is a hidden game) are as follows...

Gate of Thunder
Bonks' Adventure
Bonks' Revenge
and
Bomberman (Hidden)

It's been so long since Crying or Very sad I've played that I don't remember what the code is to unlock Bomberman. I just remember that if the on-screen Bonk hits the screen with his head instead of a game title, then you've unlocked it.

That is the only instance I know of where Gate of Thunder was released in North America (if that helps).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mukimuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rayxanber 3 was indeed damn good
but a little hard (nothing though, compared to it's prequel...)

not played cd denjin yet. but the card ver was top. did the american version have the intro song translated?
mukimuki

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just checked
no song
typical american cop out
doh
Tru
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to save you some time from looking around the web for the unlock code for bomberman.. it is:

Up, Right, Down, Left, II

Trū

Rolling Eyes
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agreee with you Muki......Rayxanber II was freaking HARD!!!I still never beat it.I even used the turbo stick with the slo-mo,and that didn't help.Rayxanber III has some killer graphics.Super Air Zonk was ok,but very sad compared to the 4 meg Hu-Card version before it.....what a shame.

Whoever never played the first Spriggan is missing out!!!!!!Good Lord that game oozes creativity!!!!!!There artwork is never repetitive,the music is befitting(COMPILE SHOOTERS RULE),the power-ups are sweet ass,the cinema's are cooler ass,and the bosses are KICK ASS!The only other game like it on the same system is Sylphia.I swear whoever made that game LOVED Spriggan,as it plays,acts,feels,sounds,looks like it-and yet is still original enough,and COOL!!!!

Too bad Rare never made games for that system....it might have done better over here.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got a sharp eye, Jam. Sylphia is a Compile shooter ;o)
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2004 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious Kaminari?!If you are...i never knew that!WOW!Awesome!
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely Mr. Green

It was a Compile shooter published by Tonkin House (as was Gunnac on the Famicom). Try to reach the end titles and you'll notice that most of the Gunhed / Spriggan team has worked on Sylphia as well Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: