MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Magic Engine player test
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:23 am    Post subject: Magic Engine player test Reply with quote

O.K. David : The player needs a few files before being able to run :

VCL50.BPL
BORLNDMM.DLL
CC3250MT.DLL

After these files are in place in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM ( or C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 depending on your windows ), the player runs psg files *PERFECTLY*. I mean wow, it's perfect!. The new sound engine sounds very promissing.... On a darker note however, putting cd's in both my drives gave me only skipped tracks, sort of like if someone whould push the forward button every 1/2 second. A minor bug im sure. Other than that, I honestly can't wait...

If you need anything David just ask ok?

Pray Dancing Angel Applause Whistle
animefx
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:10 am    Post subject: bugs, and skipping :\ Reply with quote

i first tested the psg file and it sounded really garbled and skipped around.. i then tried a few different cds (originals) and they skip around too, the program has even crashed a few times :\

the only thing i can think of is because i have 4 cd-rom devices on my system... 2 are real, and 2 are virtual, but aren't in use. the 2 real ones is a tdk cdrw, and a generic dvd-rom.. the 2 fake virtual drives are daemon tools and clone cd tray.

i tried both of the real devices and they have the same problem.
sideshow
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought I was the only one with the skipping problem. Neverless, this new player is a great attempt to play pc-engine game music on a computer. I popped in y's book 1 and 2 and noticed the skipping yet when I actually played the game through magic engine it didnt skip at all. I sure hope a bug fix release comes out shortly. By the way I noticed that when you minimize the player down to the taskbar, the result is that whatever music is being played through the player will pause until the player is maximized back to the desktop. Applause
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This skipping problem is strange, I must be the only one to not have it. Think

I tried the player on 3 different PCs, all was smooth here. Are you guys running other programs in the background that could eat CPU time? The sound engine use a low latency, it need to run every ~16ms else it will start to skip. Latency is higher for CD audio though, about 200ms, it's weird...

You mention that with MagicEngine there's no problem, is it with MagicEngine running in windowed mode too, or is it fullscreen?
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just released a new version, I didn't change a lot of things but may be it will help. Let me know...

You guys have weird PC. Wink
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I nearly choked when I saw the news page had been updated Mr. Green

Ok, back to business now. Here is my config: P3@667, Windows 2000 SP4.

1. The missing Borland DLLs can be found here.

2. The new PSG sound engine is very promising. I love the many interpolation options which allow to get a very crisp and clean sound. The ability to control the volume and quality output of the noise channel is a great plus as well. Overall, it's the best PCE emulated sound I have ever heard. However, I have to report that I occasionally get some unpleasant crackings, which don't make for a very smooth sound. It should be possible to iron it out without too much hassle (I suspect a minor buffering / latency issue).

3. The CDDA player skips a lot on my system too. My drive is set to digital playback and I don't get such problems in other CD-based emulators like Gens, Glidos, Anex86, Unz, etc.

Keep up the good work!
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok David, everything runs fine now Dancing

My PC is a pretty standard gamer PC, nothing out of the ordinary :

Athlon XP 2100+
MSI GeForce4 TI 4200 128Mb @ 265/540
Asus A7V333
DDR pc 2100 512Mb cl2
D-Link Dfe-538TX
LG cd-rom
Liteon cd-rw
IBM Deskstar D120gxp 60 Gig
Hercules Fortissimo III 7.1
Floppy, cables, mouse, keyboard, generic mid-tower, Antec PSU, Sidewinder USB, an army of fans ect...

Windows XP Pro SP1, every drivers up-to-date & everything else runs smoothly...
animefx
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: new version... same problems Reply with quote

i downloaded the new version of the player and i still have the same problems... my computer has windows xp home with *all* of the current windows updates, direct x and blah blah blah. the old magic engine sound engine was fine. :\

my specs:
1.3 ghz amd duron
512 megs of pc133 ram
geforce mx 2 video card
sb live! value sound card
windows xp home
tdk cdrw
generic dvd-rom
animefx
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 10:51 pm    Post subject: thought of something else... Reply with quote

my cd-rom is connected digitally to the sound card, not analog like most people probably use... but still the psg files shouldn't sound messed up :\

also, i was just wondering if the next magic engine will have support for un-compressed save states like the current magic engine Smile will the current magic engine save states work with the new magic engine too?
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: thought of something else... Reply with quote

Yes, there's a un-compressed format, it's not compatible with the old one but MagicEngine will still load the old save states. Smile
Gilian_Seed
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the problems too (for both cda and psg). Running with winxp, an athlon xp 2400+, 512mb, sblive Eh?
sideshow
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David. I downloaded the magic player update and tried to put those dll's in not only the windows/system32(Windows XP Home) directory, but also in the magic engine player directory. I still get all audio tracks on my Y's Book 1 and 2 or any pc-engine game to skip. The psg files apparently work though without the skipping. Another thing is that I tried both original pc-engine games and backup cd-r of my games and the skipping results are the same for both attempts. Hope a remedy is applied soon Pray

Windows XP Home
Compaq Presario 1500
2.2 ghz, 512 MB RAM, 32 MB GC
Kadamose
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bug:

When playing the player and minimizing it or multitasking with another program the program will stop playing the music until it is maximized again. Not a bad bug, just a really annoying one.

Port this thing to the Xbox, David!!!
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not a bug, it's called 'auto-pause when minimized' and is a common feature of many emulators. It allows to ease the load of the CPU when the application is not running in the foreground, especially with a heavy multitasking environment.
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kadamose wrote:

When playing the player and minimizing it or multitasking with another program the program will stop playing the music until it is maximized again. Not a bad bug, just a really annoying one.

All the DirectX programs have this behavior, I can't change it, but in the final version I will try to use the Windows multimedia API to play sounds instead of DirectX (I wanted to test the DirectX sound engine of MagicEngine first), this should get rid of this problem i think.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: