MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

PCE game by Rare? (Creator of Donkey Kong Country etc)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tg_drifter
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:26 am    Post subject: PCE game by Rare? (Creator of Donkey Kong Country etc) Reply with quote

According to this article, RareWare seems to have developed a game for the PC-Engine...
I searched the internet but unfortunately was unable to find any info about it.
Does anyone know anything about this game and if it was ever released or if there is a prototype out there?

Check out the link:
http://www.solvalou.com/speccy_ultimate3.php
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. Either it was never published, or released without the Rare mention in the credits (which is not impossible). Every old-timer knows that this former British company was called Ultimate Play The Game in an ancient past, when they used to rule the Spectrum scene before they got bought out by US Gold then Nintendô (Knight Lore, 1984... those were the times). I just can't think of any possible PC Engine title that could have been designed by them.

It'd be very interesting to contact and ask them about it, though Ultimate/Rare are known to be extremely secret concerning the diffusion of any internal information -- especially about their unreleased games (Mire Mare, anyone?). Some even doubt they have a PR department!

A reference website: Ultimate Wurlde.
brizio
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but according to that article they only received a PC Engine system.
The only japanese systems they develop for are from Nintendo or Sega.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"a new package of games had just been delivered from Japan as well as Rare's first PC Engine"

Indeed, that was not very clearly put, but it makes sense now Smile

No Ultimate game on the PCE then.
tg_drifter
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... I'm not sure, Rare's first PC Engine "system" or Rare's first PC Engine "game"? It's not specified, the sentence is a bit confusing indeed. It continues: "- the latest machine in the range and all the rage in the homeland." Do they mean the PC Engine or some sort of development system?
I guess it makes sense that they mean the PC Engine, but even if they do, keep in mind that they are developers. When developers receive a system, it's not likely that they'll just let it hang around (unless of course they have no spare time!)... so perhaps they've developed something on it for their own pleasure!
Lately I've been hunting down rare games, unreleased games/prototypes and demos, and been able to get some really cool ones for the PC-Engine, Atari Jaguar and Atari 8-bit computers. So, I'd love to get my hands on ANYTHING Rare might have created on the PCE, as long as it's at an affordable price!!!
I'll keep on searching, maybe something will leak out!
brizio
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in those days the NEC PC Engine was the most interesting gadget coming from Japan. In UK (where Rare is based) a lot of people wanted it and the guys from Rare were interested too!
Almost every magazine and developer had one PC Engine somewhere in their offices.
Development kits for western developers came only later but I am pretty sure that Rare, heavily involved in other developments, never worked on PC Engine games with an official development kit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: