MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Cd sound problem solution
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Foo's yer doo's?
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Cd sound problem solution Reply with quote

I was having the same problem that many of yourselves were having. When playing games dracula X I found I had problems with sound getting played off the cd (no sound at all apart from game sound affects). I think I found the solution. If you are running specific ide mobo drivers uninstall then and revert back to the default windows ones. I just did that today and all cd games on this emu are now fully working (my ide driver were nforce ones by the way).
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a dangerous tip : I ask people not to do it as there are many MB chipsets out there, and we will NOT try to diagnose any of the problems resulting such a practice...

People, leave your northbridges & southbridges be...

Besides, try to play a recent windows PC game & you'll see what I mean, DirectX is your friend...

Magic engine's real problem lies between the soundcard & cd-rom : PC engine's & it's games were made to output it's redbook audio the old fashioned way : through a regular audio line, not through a digital one...

Let's all wait for the big one point 0 ok?
Foo's yer doo's?
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah but is there a new version of magic engine going to come out to fix this? It's been 2 years since the last one. If they do take one out though a few more options would be usefull (the ability to chose the resolution and fileters to get rid of jaged edges with in the graphics).
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Engine 1.0 is due out soon. Haven't you checked the website lately?

Yoshon
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2004 4:01 pm    Post subject: I have this problem too Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, though, I remember getting it when I used to play and fixing it somehow. That was with version 9.7, for the life of me I can't remember what I did though.
elbryan42
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the audio cable, not digital. And my MB drivers is the same when I installed Windows. It's an XP problem, not a digital/analog audio problem. If the problem was that then my computer would read the disc as an audio cd compared to a blank disc. The new version of Magic Engine won't fix the problem if it's an OS problem.
Foo's yer doo's?
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kaminari wrote:
Magic Engine 1.0 is due out soon. Haven't you checked the website lately?

Nice. I hope they really improve thing's with this emu.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The new version of Magic Engine won't fix the problem if it's an OS problem.
Well, it will if you remember that David started to code Magic Engine around 1999 & Windows XP didn't exist yet. Magic Engine was coded with analog audio output in mind, not digital. Although I can't give you the specifics about all this, David said that 1.0 will be using digital output by default, helping 99,9% of you guys out there, while still be compatible with older Windows 9X versions...

1.0 will fix the audio problem. Don't believe me? try Yame or HUGO! instead...

Weird thing is, Windows XP didn't give me a single problem...
elbryan42
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already tried Hugo. Same problem. I know the problem with mine is NOT about the digital audio. I've been using analog audio cables on all of my drives since my 486. The problem is that XP isn't reading the disc properly.

I came here to hope that someone could help me with my problem. Instead I get quoted the same stupid solution that doesn't work. If the problem was the digital audio instead of the audio cable, the disc would keep reading the track. At the beginning of each stage, the drive light blinks for a second, then goes off. I can only hope that someone with the same problem as me could give me a proper solution.

However I'll try the daemon tools thing when I have time. I'm sorry for the rant, but this is a very frustrating problem. Sad
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same stupid solution works for 99% of such cases. Here's another stupid solution for you to try out, hopefully you'll have more luck this time:

Code:
  ;
  ; CD-ROM audio input line
  ; --
  ;   0 -> first  audio input line [default]
  ;   1 -> second audio input line
  ;   ...
  ;
  ;   (see the log.txt file to find out what are the line numbers)
  ;

cd_audio_input_line=

Leave the line blank. ME automatically chooses the best input line.

Code:
  ;
  ; CD-ROM drive
  ; --
  ;   (Windows 9x/ME only)
  ;
  ;   0 -> first  CD-ROM drive [default]
  ;   1 -> second CD-ROM drive
  ;   ...
  ;

drive=

Leave the line blank. This option only applies to Win9x/ME.

Code:
  ;
  ; CD-ROM drive letter
  ; --
  ;   (Windows 2000/XP only)
  ;
  ;   D:
  ;   E:
  ;   ...
  ;

drive_letter=F:

Make sure you've set this option right. Use the drive letter (F: in my example above) of the CD-ROM drive that is connected to your sound board with the analog audio cable (in case you have many drives in your rig).

By the way, if your drive is a DVD-ROM drive, that may be the cause of your problem (don't ask me why, I've just noticed that DVD-ROM drives seem to have more problems than CD-ROM drives in Magic Engine).

Last but not least, are you using the latest ME 0.99 beta 5?
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberwok wrote:
David started to code Magic Engine around 1999 & Windows XP didn't exist yet

ME is actually much older than that. If I'm not mistaken, it was already around in 1996 when it was still a DOS emulator Anxious
elbryan42
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at work, but I'll check my ini when I get home. Thanks everyone for all the help. Sorry if I'm a pain. Neutral

If I do find the solution, I'll be sure to let everyone know for the next unfortunate soul to encounter this problem.

Another thing occcured to me. I think it also might have to do with whcih release of XP you have, or certain motherboards with certain drivers. Anything can cause odd problems. Could explain why some people with XP have problems and some don't.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jabberwok wrote:
David started to code Magic Engine around 1999 & Windows XP didn't exist yet

ME is actually much older than that. If I'm not mistaken, it was already around in 1996 when it was still a DOS emulator

Yeah, I tend to forget Good old v0.91... I usually think of the Windows port only.
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I came here to hope that someone could help me with my problem. Instead I get quoted the same stupid solution that doesn't work.

The problem is trying to diagnose a problem with info like "cd sound doesn't work" or "im hearing game sounds but no cd sound" without anything else.

Afterwards, we have no choice but to reply a generic answer to such a generic question.

All this resulting in replies like "I know how to configure a computer" or "my problem isn't my pc". But most computer savvy individual asking for help here seem to forget the most basic thing : A generic question result in a generic answer.
elbryan42
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In any case, once all possible solutions to cd problems are found, a topic should be made for people to read first before they have to ask.

I realize lots of people, if not most people weren't around in the DOS days. If the cd sound doesn't work, they don't automatically check that cd audio cable (like I did). It's understandable. If only computers were simple like back in the days of the x86 computers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: