MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

Magic Engine for Linux??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
althena77
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Magic Engine for Linux?? Reply with quote

Hello!!

I have just seen Magic Engine at a friend and I was really surprised that such a great PC Engine emulator reallx exists Applause
I have a Duo-R and with many games but this emulator would still be very handy as I could play games much more spontaneously.

However I have no Windows installed on my PC "only" Linux. I have tested ME with the Windows-Emulator wine but it works not very nice with it (for example CDs are not found). I would very much appreciate if the best emulator for PC-Engine games could be used for people using the best OS for PCs Wink
I would happily pay 30 Euro or more for this Cool

Greetings
althena77
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could if ME used OpenGL, but 'I think' ME uses DirectX only...

But I may be wrong however... David?
syndicman
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Mac version is planned and we don't have DirectX on Mac so why not a Linux version ? Wink
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabberwok wrote:
It could if ME used OpenGL, but 'I think' ME uses DirectX only...

But I may be wrong however... David?

The old version used DirectX (and Game Sprockets on Mac) but the new version is 100% OpenGL. Dancing

The sound is still OS dependent though.
althena77
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmichel wrote:

The old version used DirectX (and Game Sprockets on Mac) but the new version is 100% OpenGL. Dancing

The sound is still OS dependent though.

Does this mean a Linux version of Magic Engine is possible and might/will come in the near future Pray
Richter
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be so great Very Happy

I just took part in the contest because I could use a windows version too. But 90% of the time I am using my PC I am booting Linux as I can do almost everything with it I want to do. It would be far more handy for me if I could use ME under Linux.
Please at least consider making a Linux port, I too would buy the first to buy it Smile
dpaint4
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:32 pm    Post subject: Collaboration Reply with quote

It is most likely that such a port would occur through collaboration. The author of ME is unlikely to want to develop for Linux. It is already amazing that he took time to make a Mac version though, so maybe.

I play it on both PC and Mac and it really is incredible. The most compatible, bug-free emulator I have ever used.
althena77
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collaboration Shocked I would have never believed that something like this be found when it comes just to an emulator of a dead videogamesystem.
And I won't believe it until someone will show me a proof for that. As you said before there is still a Mac version out and I hope and believe that a Linux port will be available if only enough people show their interest for it and ask for it.
This should be only a matter of time as Linux is becoming more and more popular Dancing
dpaint4
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my Linux PC. At work they gave me an OLD PC installed with Windows NT, and I promptly wiped it clean and installed Mepis Linux. It has been a dream machine ever since. Its amazing how well Linux runs on a low-spec machine!
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> Linux is becoming more and more popular

Lol, it's been ages since the first time I heard that. Back then I was bravely running m68k Linux on my Amiga. Hehe, some urban legends tend to get a bit worn off... Anyway, I strongly doubt ME will ever see the light of day on this system. Remember: this is a commercial emulator, and I fail to see how Linux 'free as in beer' fanboys are going to buy that (so to speak). You're supposed to get a license for the OS you're using, not for the emu itself. Having a registered key for the Windows version doesn't entitle you to have a free key for the Mac one.
althena77
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Microsoft is talking about Linux as an epidemic plague they sound more than just a little bit nervous in my ears. A few years ago it were just companies that switched to Linux and even some administrations of some big cities (for example Munich). But also private people are getting more interested in Linux these days as it has become much more comfortable and easy to use. On the other hand you have almoste no problems with viruses. Just check the statistics and statements for example of some independent computermagazines, in most of them the opinium is that Linux is still on a good way "...a slow and quiet but steady revolution...". (quotation from a respactable documantation shown a few month ago)

Kaminari wrote:
Anyway, I strongly doubt ME will ever see the light of day on this system. Remember: this is a commercial emulator, and I fail to see how Linux 'free as in beer' fanboys are going to buy that (so to speak). You're supposed to get a license for the OS you're using, not for the emu itself. Having a registered key for the Windows version doesn't entitle you to have a free key for the Mac one.

As I said, I would gladly pay 50€ for a Linux port of this emulator. I have not yet bought a key for the Windows or Mac version as this is pretty much useless for me, so I strongly doubt ME will ever be used on my PC as long as there is no Linux version available Sad
You are right, that most of all Linux software is free but I do not believe that this automatically means that someone using Linux won't buy ME. I am sure most people using Linux would be gartefull that their OS finally gets also a port of this emulator as they are also PCE-Fans (when they are interested in this emulator).
Richter
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with althena77. You have to be blind not to notice that Linux is used on more and more PCs. I am studying actually at a university here in Germany and during the last six month on all the PCs Linux replaced Windows. The same is planed or happend at other universitys. Also in many internet cafes, shops or firms I noticed Linux-PCs. Some friends also ask me from time to time to show and explain them something about Linux and most of them installed it next to Windows by now. All of them bought a distribution at a store and are not "I will never pay for a programm" fanatics.
Dugan
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the following emulators:

http://www.transgaming.com/
http://www.winehq.com/

The first one is a commerical product designed specifically for playing Windows games. The other is a free, general purpose Windows emulator.

I've seen reports in this forum that ME does indeed work with Transgaming's version of the emulator.
Dugan
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[duplicate post deleted]

Last edited by Dugan on Wed Sep 22, 2004 6:37 am; edited 1 time in total
bakabaka
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transgaming's cedega product works well enough with Magic Engine at the moment. The regular wine tree runs it without joypad support, and with sketchy CD-ROM support. There is an issue here with cedega's joypad support under Magic Engine as well, an explanation and workaround follows:

When I start up Magic Engine for the first time after booting, I have to hit both sides of each axis on both joypads in Magic Engine. I haven't tried with just one joypad, either it just works without this workaround or one's out of luck without the second joypad to fix the issue. Wink Since I don't reboot often, it's just a minor annoyance. OTOH it is worth knowing in advance before you purchase cedega.

Despite being able to use it for the moment, I'd still like to see a Linux port. Although I've had a license for the Windows version of Magic Engine for a few years, I'd buy a new license if it meant being able to use a native version under Linux.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> General All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: