MagicEngine
Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Japanese English 

MagicEngine 1.0 PR 4 status
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: MagicEngine 1.0 PR 4 status Reply with quote

update 11/25: Now that gamepads start to work I'm working on a new config menu, something like the old version. Wink

CD audio problem

I have a few ideas of what could make problems, I will do some test this morning.

update: I have changed how are managed the cdda buffers, it's a lot more smooth now (use almost no cpu time) and I stressed the program under heavy load which helped me find a few synchro bugs, and all the parameters can be adjusted in the pce.ini file, I will release a new preview this evening, fingers crossed. Pray

update 11/22: cdda works now but you may have to tweak a few options in the pce.ini file, the most important options is buffer_size, increase it until it works for you. You can increase buffers too but in this case increase the buffer delay too else you won't notice any change.

Gamepad problem

No idea what's wrong but there's a few things I can change, I will try that.

update: I have cleaned a bit the code and I have also added more debugging infos in the log file, this should help answer a few questions.

update 11/20: OK the problem has been found! Dancing It's too late for a patch now though, sorry, I will fix it tomorrow.

update 11/22: quest of the holy gamepad code continues, MagicEngine can read the gamepad now but there's some calibration issues. I'm working on that.

update 11/23: I have added two new options in the pce.ini file to control calibration, this should help fix the remaining problems I think. This will be in the new preview that will be released tomorrow. Smile

random crashes

The program never crashed here (I mean lately Razz), I don't think there's a real bug but it might be related to other problems.

update: I have added more error checks/messages and the emulator will exit earlier if something goes wrong.

update 11/23: I fixed a couple bugs today, one in the emulation and one in the cdda player, both could freeze the emulator.

gamepad configuration menu

The gamepad config menu will be changed. The gamepad buttons list was not supposed to be the main way to configure the gamepad, it was just a fallback in case DirectX had no images for your gamepad but it appears that this feature isn't supported as much as expected, which is sad as it was a nice feature.

slow gui

My opengl code is not really optimized but I didn't expect such slow down, the worse result I got was like 40fps on an old TNT 2. The other cards I tested are a Radeon 9200 and a GeForce 3, on those cards it flys, I get like 300fps.

update 11/23: I just tested MagicEngine with an OpenGL debugger to see if something was wrong in my gl code, nothing was found, the debugger didn't report any error.

Last edited by dmichel on Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:14 am; edited 7 times in total
FagEmul

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a real probleme with joypad.

have a PSX/USB and Sidewinder USB, and doesn't work with it.

Sound probleme with the master audio volume , doesn't work ^^

Other problem with the FPS and VU METER , always On , no possibility to hide this , and show perfectly in windowed mode, and not in fullscreen Sad

Always bug this Final Match Tennis Smile
Some US games don't work.

but, without this probleme, very good job Smile
vandil
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gamepad problems:

None of my USB controllers work in Magic Engine.

My GAME-port MS SideWinder, however, seems to be fine.

CD Problems:

The only CD game I have is Dracula X. And it won't work. All I get is a black screen with the number 60 in the top left corner. No video or sound, and no CD-ROM activity.

I've tried with both a virgin 1.0pr-only directory and a 1.0pr-copied overtop a working 99beta5 directory.
Ozzy_98

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flash Hiders is still seen as a 2 button game, when it's really a 6.

It also has some graphic issues when it first changes to the first FMV after the intro.

Maybe put a manual switch to toggle 2 and 6 button games? Would help for us PD developers.
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zoom 1x in Window Mode: it seriously clashes with the GUI (three-fingers salute required) Anxious
dmichel
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Kawaii!!
Specineff
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, I have not wanted to complain because I'm a real b**ch when it comes that sometimes.

So I'll just comment about PR 1 being too slow on my brother's laptop. The ATI Rage card is running off the default winblows drivers since Gateway has not released new ones that can be used with Win 2k. (And there is no way in hell I'm going back to 98 or millennium), and the gui is extremely slow. Like 10 FPS. Why does this happen and how can be fixed?

My desktop had to go up in smoke last night. Damn luck. Brick wall

Thanks, and keep it up. We know you can do it, man. Applause
reddice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am holding out in buying the program until the gamepad thing is fixed.
denzilla
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully its not something hard for David to fix. If all goes well, maybe he will grace us with PR3 tomorrow. Very Happy
Chris
Regular
Regular

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still getting bad color with my Matrox G400 Card......):
please in the future version, give us option to disable OpenGL, and also we can specify Color Bit option like 16,24,32......

thanks...
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And music in Dracula X is fine, until you die, then when you restart music don't start for the rest of the stage. Does the emu have problems with playing the same track again?

Other than that I seem to have the same problems like everyone else does, like gamepad & the like...

Other than that, I have some questions : maybe I didn't find them yet but, triple buffering and/or vsync are MIA?

Other than that, The sound, THE SOUND!!! PERFECT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
**place drool here** Applause Applause Applause Pray Whistle Dancing
Kaminari
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jabby, many features have been disabled for the prereleases Silenced

David, I'm intensively testing the CD support (especially regarding the synchro) and I'd be grateful if you could re-enable the frame_delay option in the next release Smile
jammaniaclord
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sound is KILLER now. I noticed that from the video when it went up, and NOW i can REALLY hear it!

Keep up the great work with the bug fixes Dave!
Jabberwok
Elder
Elder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2004 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
many features have been disabled for the prereleases
Yeah, 3 new releases & no time to test them until Monday...

That's that : Im off...
MajereDB8
Visitor
Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specineff wrote:
So I'll just comment about PR 1 being too slow on my brother's laptop. The ATI Rage card is running off the default winblows drivers since Gateway has not released new ones that can be used with Win 2k. (And there is no way in hell I'm going back to 98 or millennium), and the gui is extremely slow. Like 10 FPS. Why does this happen and how can be fixed?

The Rage Pro chip is antiquated and never had good drivers in Windows 2000. The chip itself supports much of the OpenGL feature set (although it doesn't support certain alpha effects like blending and fod) but the drivers just don't get the job done. I had a laptop booting Win2k with a Rage Pro Mobility chip so I can feel your pain. I'd recommend you check out http://www.geocities.com/ziyadhosein to get the latest driverset that's out there. There's not much else you can do. The Direct3D support works fine although is slow compared to better cards. The OpenGL support overall, no matter what driver you have, can be pretty clunky. I never had much success playing games with OpenGL even with the better drivers and OpenGL ICD.

So the long and short of it is that the Rage Pro chip is not a gaming chip. It can't be fixed although you can try your best to try and bump up the performance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    MagicEngine Forum Index -> Bug/Problem Reports All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: